Boston Lodge Works lies at the eastern end of the Cob Embankment at Porthmadog and is the principal workshops of the Festiniog Railway Company.
Built on the site of the main quarry for the stone used in building the Cob from 1808 to 1811, it was developed to build and maintain wagons for the newly laid 13-mile long tramway that ran from the slate mines of Blaenau Ffestiniog to the wharves at Porthmadog.
Initially the wagons ran from the quarries by gravity – The quarries lie at 700 feet above sea level – and horses were used to haul the empty wagons back up uphill to Blaenau Ffestiniog.
In the mid 1860s steam locomotives were introduced on the railway.
The Ffestiniog Railway were the first narrow gauge railway to introduce such locomotives.
The first few locos were built in the London area but later locomotives, including the ingenious Fairlie double engines, were built at Boston Lodge.
Locomotives are still built at the workshops – the last was completed in 2010 – and maintenance of the vintage locos and rolling stock as well as restoration work on vintage stock continues.Ffestiniog. Railway, Narrow Gauge